Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Softball and Swimming

 At school we had an exciting morning tea event on Tuesday.   We had a Teachers vs. Year 7 and 8 students softball game.  I was a little bit nervous because I hadn't played softball for awhile, but I have to say the skills came back to me as soon as we started the game!

There were some amazing 10, 11, 12, and 13 year olds that we played against.  Our team leader Mr. Vega was pretty intense.  I was nervous that I would get yelled at if I made too many mistakes

I played second base the whole game and I got two really good hits. The rest of the school all watched the game.  The teachers ended up pulling out a win!! 

After the game all the students were all "Ms. Bringhurst you are fast as! or Ms. Bringhurst I didn't know you were going to be so good!" In new Zealand when they think something is really cool or really extreme they say "sweet as" "cool as" "fast as" "big as" "scary as" late as" “funny as” "mad as” “fun as” “tall as”
So I have a challenge for anyone reading my blog.  My students came over and visited us again the other day.  One of my little boys, Filipi, wanted to make a video.  He has this cute little voice with a strong accent that it was near impossible to understand him when I first met him.  I’m starting to get a hang of it now, but every once in awhile I still miss some of the words he is using.  I want you to try to see how much  you can understand.

I was laughing so hard at this video.  I have two favorite parts.  First, when he says- these boys are trying to fix the car, fix the car…. Except it’s a bike HAHA.  Every time I watch the video I crack up at the way he says it and laughs about it.  My second favorite part is it captures the way they call me Miss.  I love it!  He says “Miss I’m just going to do something.”  He was telling me that he wasn’t done with the camera and he wanted to do something else.  But every time they call me miss I melt ha.

On Wednesday the four some, got to go to help with our year 7 and 8 swim team’s competition against the other intermediate schools. 
Here's the whole Colwill Swimming Team!

Instead of going to school we were at this public pool for the entire day.  Our job was to help time each of the races.  

We traded off throughout the day so we had time to sit and watch with our students and time to time the swimmers!  I was so impressed at how well our students did!  We didn’t get first but they worked so hard.



I got to ride home with one of my girls named Riana back to the school.  She is such a sweetheart helping me make sure that I get to see all the cool stuff in New Zealand while we are here.  She also has lots of questions about America.  I showed her an American dollar and she was really intrigued.  New Zealand dollars are all different sizes depending on how much they are worth.  The 20 dollar bill is a larger size than a 5 dollar bill.  Also their money cannot be ripped no matter how hard you try and it is water proof.  Isn’t that sweet as? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment