Tuesday, March 22, 2011

School Assembly

Today was a great day at school.  Our days here are numbered and I’m starting to realize that.  I can’t believe that my time with these amazing kids is close to ending. 

Now I know that working with them has not always been easy working with these kids.  I was talking with my cousin Kylie on skype the other day and she asked me about the kids and if they were hard.  This practicum has given some of the hardest times I’ve ever had in my life.  Sometimes these kids exhaust me to the point of tears after school when they all leave.  There are times when they decide that they don’t listen to a word I say.  They completely ignore me.  Other times I am constantly calling kids out for their use of bad language.  I have never heard so many swear words than coming from the mouths of these little kids.  There are also times when I feel that I could be standing on my head but I still can not motivate them to learn and participate in class.  At times it seems some are completely unexcited about learning.  Often they students exude such laziness I become very frustrated.

But I love them!  And they have made me felt loved.  I am overwhelmed with happiness when I see a concept click in their mind and their eyes light up.  I get so excited to see them find a book that they are excited about that they want to show me.  I love getting to take on my 6th and 7th graders in intense softball tournaments where I get to see some of my struggling students in the classroom shine on the field.  The best sound to me is “Miss” in an adorable accent as they address me in class, on the playground, and outside of school.  The success I feel when my management tools are successful and I feel the respect coming from my students as I teach them is priceless.  I would give anything to help some of these kids see the amazing potential they have to make something of their lives despite the mountains that they are going to have to climb soon.  I wish they new the great difference they could make in the world if they work hard and make good choices.  My heart breaks because I know many of them will be stuck in the rut of some of their bad examples they have at home.  But I can pray for them and hope that Heavenly Father will keep a careful watch on these kids that I love so dearly, especially after I leave.

This week I attended my last school assembly.  At each assembly the student body sings different songs, and give announcements.  Towards the end the teachers give out certificates for different students that were nominated by their teachers for doing well in school or other positive behaviors.  The nominated students are called up to the front and are presented with their own certificates.  Today four extra certificates were handed out.  Today they called up all of the Student Teachers.  They had the four of us stand in front of the whole school as they thanked us for all that we had done for the school.  I must admit I teared up a little bit thinking about leaving Colwill Primary school.  I have grown attached to the kids here.


Next I had to head over to room 15 my old 3rd and 4th grade class to deliver some good news!  The American students receive their letters that we wrote to them them!  The students are all super excited about this pen pal experience, and I am so happy that it is actually working out!  The students were all asking me different questions about when they would get a letter back and such.   Then one of my little students raised their hand and asked “Ms. Are you going to miss us?”   I couldn’t hold it any longer.  The tears started flowing.  I told them how much I loved them and how wonderful I thought they all are.  I’m not sure how appropriate that was but it’s true.  These kids are amazing!  Once they saw me crying some of the sweet girls started telling me "it's ok to cry ms. just let it out."  The boys were not quite as understanding and a few of them started teasing me and said "you're kind of a cry baby Ms.."  Haha I couldn't help but smile!  They make me laugh :)

This week we got to have another delicious, entertaining FHE with the Olsen family.  They of course fed us very well!  After each of us participated in a loud, chaotic FHE lesson while we acted out certain scripture stories.  My group did Noah’s arch.  We acted out the wicked people against Noah, the elephants and tigers going on to the ship, and Vanz was a wonderful dove.  It may not have been the most organized play I’ve ever been a part of but I was laughing and smiling the whole time.  
 Zion was playing her beautiful recorder music for us when we first got there!
 I was trying to make the elephant noise for my animal role in the play.
All the animals were on the arch and Noah right in front!  It looks pretty realistic right?!

The kids made the night SO fun.  Next we played a classic game of duck, duck, goose!  I have to say the Olsen children were very speedy!  They have truly been so sweet to take us in and make us feel like a part of the family.  It made me miss my siblings though!  I can’t wait to go home and challenge Garret, Becca, Kib, and Bryce to duck, duck, goose, turkey tracks, hearts, z-ball, just dance, and uno! 

Christine and I have been roommates for so long now that we are occasionally matching each other or coordinating our outfits subconsciously.  It’s really funny to go through my pictures and look at all the times that we have matched each other.  Last week when we went to the market we picked out twinner dresses that we both thought would be fun New Zealand clothes to take home!

No comments:

Post a Comment