Monday, February 14, 2011

A Fish Story

Thursday was my first day back into the elementary schools since last semester.  The moment that I walked into my 3rd and 4th grade class I was so excited!  For the next six weeks I will be working at a school called Colwill Primary school.  In New Zealand, schools are classified for different poverty levels by ranking it anywhere from a decile 1 as the lowest level to a decile 10 as the highest level.  Colwill is a decile 3 school, so it is not the lowest, but there will still be a lot of poverty and room to give extra to support to these kids.  While I’ve been looking at schools to start working with in Provo I have enjoyed getting to work in the Title 1 schools, (which is another word for low income schools) and I think this practicum I’m in now will really help support me to becoming the best teacher I can for my future kids I get to work with this fall. 

Saturday I got to go on a fishing trip!!  Kerry (Heidi and Anna’s home stay dad) took us early Saturday morning to the ocean to catch some Snapper Fish.

 When we got to the water Heidi, Anna, Christine, Alexis, Kerry, and I all climbed onto the fishing boat and headed out.  Once we picked a good spot we got out our poles!  

We had to cut up some cute baby frozen fish for the bate, which was a little bit sad until we started reeling in the fish!  Anna was the first one to bring in a little snapper.  All the passengers on our boat gave her a standing ovation.  Soon after Heidi brought in a snapper as well!  Everyone could barely contain their excitement!  Ok maybe just Anna, Heidi, Christine, and I were screaming for every fish that was pulled in the boat ha, it really was exciting.  Kerry said that the other fisherman didn't need any fish finders to help them know where all the fish were because we were cheering so loud :)  Next Christine and I caught our first fishes as well!  The first few fishes we brought in were all too small to keep.  There is a size limit on the fish you are actually allowed to bring home with you.  But a few minutes later my amazing fishermen’s skills were about to kick in.  Kerry taught us the phrase “big bate, big fish.”  So I put an entire baby fish on my hook the cast my line out.  Soon after I started, I got a big tug on my line!  I started reeling in my line as fast as I could.  Towards the end I could barely pull it up, and I could see my beautiful fish just below the surface of the water.  Finally I pulled up my prize!  I caught a 6 pound snapper!!!  It was huge!  

Alexis helped me name him Chomper because we could see his big teeth.   
Pretty soon after I caught him and we took pictures with our good friend Chomper and then Kerry had to kill him.  It was really sad.  He was a really good fish while he was alive.


But then we ended up cooking him for lunch the next day.  So he went to a good cause.  Fishing ended up being so fun!  It was great to be out in the boat together for the afternoon.  The only negative was the smell we reeked of afterwards.  But overall I think I’m a really fisher woman J




No comments:

Post a Comment